When you have to deal with negative people on a regular basis it can be challenging. The constant chatter from a Debbie Downer could easily take you to a dark place. Let’s face it, it doesn’t matter if you encounter them at home or at work negative people can be extremely draining. They can become the number one contributor to your daily stress. When you deal with negative people at home and then also at work it can be double trouble. I know because honestly, this is what I deal with on a regular basis.
How Do You Deal With Negative People?
You have to learn how to cope when the people around you tend to bring you down. If you don’t practice good coping skills your quality of life will surely suffer. Especially your mental health. The following 10 tips can help.
- Establish a mental health routine to enact whenever it gets intense. Find a space in your day. You will need a good 15 minutes to close your eyes and take some deep breaths. Visualize a quiet and serene place and let your body relax. Use the entire 15 minutes to re-focus your mind, body and spirit.
- Pull out your phone and some headphones and tune in to your favorite Podcast. It will take your mind off the negative situation and people and will re-direct your attention.
- Listen to your favorite song on Pandora or iTunes. There is nothing like a good song to shift your energy.
- Take a walk outside. If it is a nice day outside, then definitely take some time out to soak in some vitamin D.
- Focus on your goals. Negative people tend to serve as a distraction and they keep you from reaching your goals. Oftentimes they make you feel bad for even having them. Negative people don’t want you to get ahead. This is why you should focus on your goals to help keep you centered and to take your mind off of the negative people in your life.
- Get lots of rest. Don’t let those negative folks keep you up at night. One of the best ways to deal with negative people is to put them to bed. Get them out of your mind and get yourself some good ole fashion sleep.
- Exercise. Negative people cause stress and that stress can cause you put on weight. Exercise is a good way to release the tension and pressures of the day. Try taking a kickboxing class to really relieve the stress from dealing with people who might get you down.
- Drink lots of water. This one may seem odd, but in fact when you deal with negative people and allow yourself to become dehydrated then what will happen next is that you will get a really bad headache and that will only add to your misery.
- Watch a comedy show. There is no better way to deal with negative people than by laughing.
- Use re-direction. We often use re-direction with babies when we want to get their attention away from something that could hurt them. It’s a good tactic to use with negative folks. When people around you are being negative, do you best to re-direct the conversations and situations.
How to deal with negative people at home
When you’re sleeping with the enemy it’s hard. Sometimes the negativity at home can come from a spouse. Other times it can come from your kids. The best way to deal with negative people at home is to find yourself a positive place of refuge in your home. This can be your bedroom or the bathroom. You have to find a place to go to regain your peace. You can practice a lot of the same tips listed above when you’re at home. They work.
Would you like to live your best life regardless of the negative people in your life?
If you want to know how to live you best life, even when you’re surrounded by negative people, then you will want to make sure to download a copy of “How to Reach Your Personal Best” guide. When you are working on being the best you, then you don’t have time to deal with negative people. They become insignificant in your world.